Horse people are a pretty hardy bunch generally. But one thing truly terrifies them and that things is………. a non-horsey person buying them a horsey gift.
Every horse person has received a horse calendar or a horse mousemat at some point – generally as part of a secret santa or from a non-horsey partner. Fake smiles at the ready! Public service announcement – you can do better.
So, here is my guide of gifts for horse people that they will actually want.
- If you are going to go for a product with a horse on it – make it a good one: Emily Cole Illustrations. With Calendars, Diaries, Mugs, Oven gloves featuring fun and clever imagery. Definitely will bring a smile.
- The gift of time – anyone with a horse that won’t load or is a struggle to get on a horsebox or trailer – this is the one for them. Sandra William’s new book: Loading the less easy horse takes you through how to change this and educate you on improving your partnership along the way.
3. Something to keep you safe – I am a big advocate for rider safety on the roads. It may not be glamorous but it certainly would show you care: Vizirider. (I had one gifted and love the fit and the lights.)
4. Any horse person can not have enough gloves. I generally start the year with 5 pairs and end with one if I am lucky. eGloves have a lovely selection of styles and colours too.
5. I love a natural horse product and this Hot Oil works wonders to bring a shiny healthy coat. It feels like an indulgent treat for your horse: The Alchemist Garden.
6. Invest in their success – buy a voucher for a training session. Whether that is with their trainer or someone new. I know that a lot of Intelligent Horsemanship Recommended Trainers do vouchers. There are also some great training weekends to get involved in too – I have loves Paul Gaff’s and Banfield Equestrian
And if confidence is an issue (well, it is one of my favourite areas!)
- AcuPip Ear Seeds – to use acupressure points to help with anxiety, PTSD and sleep issues.
- Ant Middleton’s Fear Bubble book
- Lisa Bilyeu’s Radical Confidence book
And if in doubt – Epsom Salts, Hand Cream and Candles for a bit of self care never hurt.